A garage door opener is one of those things we use every day, but seldom think about until it doesn’t work. That’s why it is important to properly maintain your opener on a regular basis. By following these simple tips, you can assure your door will work when you need it too—and not find yourself in a bind at a very inconvenient time.
- Regularly inspect springs, cables, rollers and other hardware for any pieces that stick or may be wearing out.
- Metal parts of the door require lubrication from time to time. Ask your garage door repairperson what the best lubricant is for your particular door.
- Test the balance of the door by opening it by hand. The door should open and close smoothly. It should also remain balanced and open approximately three to four feet off the ground. If it is much different from this, you may need to talk to a professional about balancing the system.
- Once per month you should test the opener and sensor. Do this by opening the door with the remote and watching it. Try rolling a ball under the door as it is closing and see if the sensor notices this movement and stops the door. This can prevent sensor issues that can lead to damage to your door or injury to those who use it.
- While it doesn’t necessarily fall under the umbrella of maintenance, it is important to regularly remind your children of proper garage door care and safety. This can prevent injuries and protect the door.
- Test the reverse on the door by holding up the bottom of the door as it closes. Be very careful when doing this and make sure no children or pets are nearby. If it does not reverse readily, it may be time for a repair or professional maintenance job.
- Inspect the exterior of your garage doors as well. If the door is damaged or needs a fresh coat of paint, it may be important to repair this quickly to avoid bigger problems.
If you are having problems with your garage door opener or any other aspect of your garage doors system, it may be time to call the experts. If you are in or around Austin, TX, call or contact us at Garage Door Cowboys and let us help. Garage doors are our only business, so we can offer the best service at the best prices—anywhere!