While working with an expert, such as the team from Garage Store Cowboys, is the right solution for many garage door issues, you may choose to replace garage door springs yourself. If you decide to do this, keep in mind some crucial things that you should know when shopping for garage door springs.
- There are different types of springs that can be found on a garage door—extension springs and torsion springs. Extension springs are generally easier to replace on your own. In many cases you will want to leave the replacement of torsion springs to a professional.
- The spring is a very important part of any garage door. Not only does it control the tension of the door, but if there were no springs you risk the door slipping and falling—which could be very dangerous.
- There are several sizes of springs available. It is vital that you choose the right size otherwise you could run into issues with the fit.
- Don’t just guess at the size and type of springs you choose, look at the manual that came with your garage door or consult with a garage door specialist to find the right fit for your door.
- There are right-hand and left-hand springs. Hold the spring in front of you and see whether the coils rise to the left or the right. If you put the wrong direction of spring your door will not open and close as it should.
As you can see, there are many things you need to consider when you are shopping for garage door springs. If you don’t feel comfortable with the purchasing and installation process, you may consider contacting a professional to get the job done right—and reduce your stress level!